[linux-audio-dev] new realtime scheduling policy

Josh Green jgreen at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 18 06:14:00 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 23:45, rm wrote:
> hi all,
>
>      so i've tried to make a new scheduling policy for linux.  i've
> called it SCHED_USERFIFO.  the intent is basically to allow a process
> ask for x amount of processor time out of every y jiffies.  (the user
> part is in the hope that the administrator can set rlimits on the
> amount of percentage of time requested and allow non-priviledged users
> to use this policy without being able to complete hang the box).

<cut>

>     (mostly i'm just sending a mail because i'm pleased with myself
> and want to share and get feedback; hopefully this sort of does what i
> say it does too).
>
> 	 thanks,
> 	  rob

I think this is really cool and have been wanting to see something like
it for some time. Having low latency application response in regular
user space without hanging the system is the one key thing I think that
has been missing with Linux audio. Allowing settable CPU usage limits
also might allow for apps that don't have built in support for
SCHED_FIFO to be run this way via external utilities. Hopefully what you
have created will get the ball rolling :) Cheers.
	Josh Green