[linux-audio-dev] Echo Darla/Gina/Layla/... on Linux

Ranjit Singh ranjit at sukhisoft.com
Tue Mar 18 09:31:46 UTC 2003

> I am a broadcast engineer by profession, but a hacker by hobby. I maintain
> the PostgreSQL RPMset, the nspostgres AOLserver database driver, and do a
> little bit of coding. I wouldn't consider myself fluent in C++, however.
> But I enjoy learning new things....

Well, that sounds perfect to me; David and Brad have experience of Linux
coding, and you have the test and packaging experience. I really want to get
into Linux coding, and am quite happy to do the admin and docs as req'd.

I think we could both learn some new things :)

As you said, David, asm isn't really used, as the goal is portability. It
might come in handy once we've got a driver working and we want to improve
its latency on a specific platform. (I'm thinking Intel and ARM from my
side.)

Wrt pages of code per model, I agree with you that hopefully we can get round
that, perhaps by having a glue layer to different cards. I don't know, it's
been ages since I looked at the code. Have you seen the Echo code, Brad? I'd
suggest we make sure we all have a copy, even if we can't post it to a
central site, so that we are starting from the same point.

We need to classify all the operations that we must provide (the API) and the
operations we can build on from the cards. I'd imagine there's a core set..

What do you think?

> Odd things like the top jack of a two-jack stack becoming inoperative after
> plugging in the bottom plug (in balanced mode).

Sounds like you've got a short in there somewhere.

Regards,
Ranjit.