[linux-audio-dev] Modular synths of the world, unite and take over :-)

Dr. Matthias Nagorni mana at suse.de
Tue Mar 18 13:30:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Thomas Webb wrote:

> I also already devised an xml-based format for modular
> synth patches. It needs some work if it's to be an

I was very impressed by the XML representation of LADSPA plugins
presented by Steve Harris at the LAD conference last weekend. He writes
the code and parameter specifications of his LADSPA plugins in XML and
then converts ("compiles") them to the C code according to ladspa.h.

What I like about this solution is that it would not only allow to share
modules among the many softsynths, but it could also be used to solve the
GUI/Toolkit problem. Namely one could also express the GUI layout
information in XML. People can then "compile" the XML files and get both
the module's DSP code in the format appropriate for their synth and also
the GUI code for the Toolkit (e.g. QT ot GTK) of their choice.

Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Nagorni
SuSE Linux AG