[linux-audio-dev] Modular synths of the world, unite and take over :-)

Lukas Degener AFBLukas at gmx.de
Tue Mar 18 15:53:00 UTC 2003

>that isn't actually part of LADSPA.

Ah ok, i mixed that up. sorry.

>there actually isn't really any commonality between what, say, pd
>versus beast do. or between jMax and gAlan. the similarity exists only
>on an abstract conceptual plane, which is where algorithms
>live. however software isn't abstract - its always instantiated. the
>problem here, i think, is that we look at different systems, note
>their abstract conceptual similarities and wonder why they need to
>both exist when they appear so similar. yet they are not similar as
>software, only as ideas. and its the software that is being worked on
>- the ideas were worked out years ago - and its the software that is
>where the fun is.

Hmm...good point.

>i've said many times before: i don't believe that "the desktop" is
>something that developers of "music" apps should concern themselves
>with.

another good point. That's why i said i don't care. :-)
It was ment as an example. see below again.

>>And if you think of it, the situation with all those modular synth apps
>>

>the situation is no different to the one in the h/w world.

actualy there is a difference. we don't have to be afraid of each other,
since we don't have to compete for market shares.
Oh well... forget it.

>i don't
>hear anyone suggesting that doepfer should quit because moog is making
>modular stuff again, or even that they should work together.

Just for the records, i never would be so bold to suggest anyone to quit.
Actualy i would be the first to quit if i felt that what i am trying to
achieve has already been achieved.
Thats part of the reason why i am asking this. There just has to be a
way of making sure that what i am doing does make any sense at all. The
last weeks, there were discussions about redesigning ams from scratch,
and how to do this. But it seems so pointless sometimes, to spend night
after night, thinking about problems that have already been solved
nicely in some other project.

Man, i hate this. every time i try to give smart answers to your posts
on some list, i run out of arguments. :-)))

Guess i better stop now and think it all over.

Kind Regards,
Lukas