[linux-audio-dev] Re: Advertising Linux Audio

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Mar 30 05:52:00 UTC 2003

 >I looked up some prices for online merchant facilities for the
 >company I work for and they are not cheap, you have to pay
 >a monthly fee and some percentage or forfait per transaction.

Yes but this percentage would be offset/already paid for by a company
that is already running merchant facilities.

 >You need a relatively high volume merchant site to go with.
 >(economics of scale).

Yes and we definitely have enough people using the software to make
small contributions scale correctly.

 >Is Paypal that bad ?

IMO it is another level of red tape that could be bypassed.

 >I contributed to Ardour through Paypal and in so far I know,
 >it works.

It works but it is not the most effective way of doing things. Users are
required to provide a certain amount of information in order to become a
payee. The recipient is required to pay a surcharge on every transaction
which is higher than the costs imposed by a merchant facility.

Both of those work against us when it comes to making it easy for people
to contribute funds.

I'm interested in the methods that the AGNULA team are using. Maybe they
  have already found a solution.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman