[linux-audio-dev] General strategies for RT Audio Thread

Alexander Lenhardt pokey909 at gmx.de
Fri May 2 04:44:01 UTC 2003

HI!

I'm trying to write very simple software synthesizer under Linux just for my
own educational purpose.
but one problem i came over is the following:
I made the audio thread shced_fifo with max priority. My GUI thread is
sched_other. To allow the GUI to rerspond, I thought i could just put the
audio thread to sleep for the playing length of the buffer (7ms). But the
minimum tick interval of the linux scheduler is 10ms and its not even sure
that the thread will sleep for exact 20ms. So how can I avoid underruns if
the timing is so unreliable?

Thanks in advance
    Alex