[linux-audio-dev] General strategies for RT Audio Thread

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri May 2 09:01:00 UTC 2003

>Agreed, but given the number of small but annoying problems JACK
>has recently experienced (see activity on the list), this is *not*
>a thing I'd recommend to someone who is clearly setting his first
>brave steps into the minefield of multithreaded real-time programming,
>and who is doing so 'for his own educational purposes'. If someone
>is prepared to enter into this field, I'd give him/her time to learn.

i broadly agree with you. however, the question is whether s/he wants
to learn about software synthesis or interacting with a HAL for audio
interfaces. if the former, then i still tend to feel that despite the
recent small but annoying problems with JACK, such a a person is
better off avoiding the HAL layer and working at the level of
abstraction that JACK provides. if they want to learn everything, then
sure, just do it all themselves.