[ann] matched, Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] guitar preamp plugin, v2

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Mon Nov 3 23:56:48 UTC 2003

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>Hallo,
>Florian Schmidt hat gesagt: // Florian Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I did the same for a different style of music though.. With loads of
>> mistakes and shaggy time feel:
>>
>> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/florianschmidtmusic.htm
>>
>> click on "Black Orpheus Jam".. The guitar only has the preamp plugin on
>> it and a tad bit of reverb. I will record a better version these days
>> [when i find the time]

be sure to try 'matched' or 'unmatched' when you do, they do make the
guitar sound a bit more vivid. i like the cozy, ad-hoc sound on this
recording of yours.

>But your's is a real guitar. ;) I did use a simple pluck~ patch that's
>available on my site, routed through Tim's plugins and then out.
>Controlled by my trusted 16 fader midi box...

and that piece surely seems aptly named. :)

this pluck~, i can't seem to find it on footils. it does sound like
karplus-strong, is it?

>Tim's plugins really create that "Santana" amp feeling. Maybe they are
>a tiny little bit, well, I don't know the english word, but in german:
>"krächzig" in the upper frequencies. But not much.

for those not from *.{de,ch,at}: you'd call a sound 'krächzig' that
makes you want to clear your throat.

could be the remains of aliasing. a synthesized signal is likely to
carry more hi-f content than one from an electric guitar. the preamp
adds some moderately strong first few partials (even at low gain
settings), they could add some inharmonicity to the sound when folding
back. if that is the case, lo-passing into the preamp might help.

in fact you can get the plugin to alias audibly with a guitar, too,
but you have to crank up the gain all the way and hit just the right
note at just the right spot on the g string, and hit it hard. not
likely to be audible in a mix though, it's still very faint.

one day, given enough time, i might be tempted to eliminate even that.
given enough ghz, too, because it'll probably mean 8x oversampling or
more poles/longer kernels to the oversampling filters.

tim