[linux-audio-dev] Using Jack for "Control Volt" continued

iainduncan at telus.net iainduncan at telus.net
Sun Nov 9 03:50:22 UTC 2003

Sorry, forgot to ask a couple of things.

Will Jack or other similar APIs allow passing of DC signal? If so, do we have
to worry about speakers blowing up or do soundcards protect against DC?

If not, can anyone tell me what the most CPU efficient way of
modulating/demodulating a control signal might be? It occured to me that one
could just use a very high frequency signal and have amplitude represent the
DC control signal, requiring the receiver to use some sort of RMS amplitude
tracking. This could also allow more than one control signal to be passed in
one audio stream if we had several composite sines that were filtered apart
again on the receiving end if the CPU demand of the filtering was less
important than saving audio channels.

Any thoughts, feedback, or redirection appreciated.
Iain