[linux-audio-dev] Using Jack for "Control Volt" signals?

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Sun Nov 9 04:28:28 UTC 2003

iainduncan at telus.net writes:

> Sorry if this is the wrong place, please tell me where to ask if it
> is.

This is not off-topic for LAD, but there is also a jackit-devel
mailing list for detailed JACK questions.

> I'm wondering whether it will be possible, ( or if anyone is doing
> something similar ) to use Jack to pass control signals between
> audio apps.

That should work.

I've experimented with generating SMPTE timecode from a JACK client.
That's a control signal of a sort, though different from what you're
doing.

> Also, does or will Jack allow signals to be lower bit depth or
> sample rate when full audio resolutions is not necessary, or will it
> always be full audio?

All JACK client audio uses single-precision float data and a common
sample rate.  The nominal range is [-1.0,...,1.0], but this is not
enforced by the server.  The effective "bit depth" of IEEE float data
is 25 bits.

> Is there any limit to the number of ins and outs Jackable? I guess
> to make modular synthesis between various apps one would start using
> a *LOT* of them.

Sure there are limits.  I think the server currently only allocates
space for something like 256 ports.  If that's a problem it can
probably be fixed.
--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas