[linux-audio-dev]Slashdot:_linux-based_music_keyboardworkstation released

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu Nov 13 02:20:18 UTC 2003

On Thursday 13 November 2003 00.11, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> You might also look at:
> >> http://www.uCApps.de
> >
> >Now we're talking!
>
> no kidding. this is the mother of all DIY MIDI sites ... did you
> see the relatively polished digi-alike control surface there? very
> nice stuff.

Yeah. I also noticed I'm probably not first to think about a modular
controller system. Don't know if anyone's managed to build one yet
(only rendered concept images), but it should be quite doable, if not
exactly low cost or lightweight... I just don't know how useful it
would really be. Worth the effort?

	"No, I want the play/stop button on the other side of
	the jog wheel today..."

	*klick*
	*snap*

	"There. Much better!"

My first ideas in this direction were related to arcade controls
(digital heavy duty joysticks, buttons, spinners, trackballs and
stuff), and that's probably where I'll try it first. (The prototype I
used for testing Kobo Deluxe is flaky, so it's time I built something
serious anyway.)

Most people just place lots of controls on a big panel, or have
multiple panels with different layouts, but they never seem to be
totally happy, and thus rebuild, over and over. OTOH, building the
things is the most interesting part for many, so maybe that's just as
well. :-)