[linux-audio-dev] question about time and compressed formats

J_Zar romaninz at aruba.it
Thu Nov 13 21:48:36 UTC 2003

Hi all,

		I' ve done some tests on a bunch of songs in different compressed formats (
samplerate = 44100 ): Mp3 and Ogg. For the Mp3 format I tested various
bitrates and I find out that on the playback phase this format has a value of
26.12 milliseconds/frame ( meaning that every frame cover 26.12 ms! ).

For the Ogg format I tested only a nominal bitrate of 192 Kb and I find out a
value of 23.22 milliseconds/frame. These values are taken with an error of
about 10^(-6) seconds.

	My ask: is there a general algorythm to calculate the ms/frame value for all
conpressed formats? Could someone confirm my values? Are this values affected
from some parameters ( I think surely samplerate... )? Why different values
for Ogg and Mp3? Ogg will be affected by bitrate?

Thanks to all people!

				     J_Zar
                            Gianluca Romanin