[linux-audio-dev] Re: linux-audio-dev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 24

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Mon Nov 17 04:15:50 UTC 2003

martin rumori <ptiger at gmx.de> writes:

> i think, that's a clean solution.  to be able to distinguish between
> realtime- and non-realtime-audio users, i'd propose to use a separate
> group (e.g. 'rtaudio'), so
>
> (5) introduce a group 'rtaudio', whose members are granted realtime
>     privileges.
>
> on a multiuser system, i think it's not necessary to grant realtime
> privileges to every user who wants to hear his custom system beeps :-)

That's right.  Separating the `realtime' from the `audio' seems
logical to me.  Not all audio is realtime, and not all realtime is
necessarily audio.  Video or other applications could also benefit
from this mechanism.  Maybe we should just invent a group named
`realtime'.

Note that the group name issue is separate from the underlying kernel
mechanism.  In Debian, group `audio' has gid 29.  One should not hard-
code that in the kernel.  I would envision a user-level admin process
that accesses the appropriate group name and writes its numeric gid
value with sysctl.  The kernel security module would use whatever gid
value it is given.
--
  joq