[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA: proposition for polyphonic use of plugins

Fons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Mon Nov 17 21:07:04 UTC 2003

Hi Paul,

> have you considered the possibility that Xlib is not statically
> thread-safe? if there are any globals in the implementation of Xlib,
> this scheme will fail as soon as the host is using Xlib as well.

Yes, and if X does its bookkeeping in terms of 'processes' and not 'clients'
the same will happen. But it seems to work.

> otoh, AFAIK, XFree86 is pretty much clear of all globals, so it
> probably is a non-issue.

That's reassuring :-)

All this would be a lot simpler if the common GUI toolkits would provide
a call that would allow one to create a raw X window that wil be
connected to their internals and that gets its raw X events delivered
to a user specified callback. From there on, the toolkit or library used
by the plugin takes over. That's really all that's needed.

> ps. fons - even if its not ready for use as a JACK client, i'd really
> like to get a look at your SMPTE generating code. ardour really needs
> it badly - its become more and more clear that we can't support MTC
> master mode without kernel patches.

If you just need the generator, I can probably concoct something readable
somewhere this weekend. I'm currently in the process of moving from SL 8.2
to SL 9.0, not everything works yet, and my system is in a pretty chaotic
state :-)

--
FA