[linux-audio-dev] cross-toolkit host/plugins: significant news

Fred Gleason fredg at salemradiolabs.com
Tue Nov 18 15:44:06 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 02:14, Paul Davis wrote:

> to put in bluntly, it appears that i have been totally and utterly
> full of crap, and have unnecessarily delayed the advent of decent
> plugin GUIs on linux by a year or more.

So, book yourself a guilt trip, and when you return, life will go on...  :)

> i hate the way Qt takes over the build process. It reminds me too much
> of Oracle in this respect.

It's not that difficult to build Qt apps without resorting to Qmake.  I
typically do the following in Makefile.am:

# Define the dependency for the Meta Object Compiler
MOC = $(QTDIR)/bin/moc
moc_%.cpp:	%.h
	$(MOC) $< -o $@

# Then, lay out the dependencies like so:
bin_PROGRAMS = myprog
dist_myprog_SOURCES = myprog.cpp myprog.h
nodist_myprog_SOURCES = moc_myprog.cpp
myprog_LDADD = -lqui

This will work with vanilla Autoconf/Automake, and will ensure that the MOC
gets called at the correct time, while also autocleaning the MOC output when
building dists and such.  It does require that your environment contain the
path to your Qt installation in QTDIR, but that is a standard part of a
"correct" Qt installation, as per Trolltech.

Oh, and thank you, Paul.  The work you do is *very* appreciated around here...

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|  No woman can endure a gambling husband, unless he is a steady winner.  |
|                                        -- Lord Thomas Dewar             |