[linux-audio-dev] and just to finalize ...

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Tue Nov 18 17:36:10 UTC 2003

Tuesday 18 November 2003 15.22 skrev Paul Davis:
> >I'd like to say: woohoo!
>
> i suppose that if i knew this was possible 2 years ago, i would never
> have written JACK. that's the upside, perhaps. should JACK exist? is
> the address space isolation worth it? big questions.

As others have also noted, adress isolation is god sent. Whatever you do,
unless jack crashes, almost nothing can bring your application down (a mild
overstatement perhaps *). This is a _major_ feature.
I also think that jack apps should be easier to design and program as opposed
to plugin-centric solutions. The boundaries are dictated by the operating
system, not by the plugin-architecture.

In my mind jack ought to have much better long-term viability than an in-proc
plugin-system. Today you can probably wring out more precious clock cycles
from an in-proc system since the overhead isn't as big. But in a few years
(or already now!) the overhead for this is easily traded for the added
benefits.

/Robert

* Jack does add a few critera of it's own, can you say ZOMBIE ? ;) But this is
a necessity with an in-proc system also.