[linux-audio-dev] Re: linux-audio-dev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 24

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Tue Nov 18 22:54:04 UTC 2003

Melanie <melanie at t-data.com> writes:

> Wouldn't it, just maybe, be acceptable to the kernel people if
> capabilities could be turned on by some parameter on the kernel
> command line (e.g. capabilities=on)?

We could ask.  But, I suspect they will feel that they have adequately
solved this problem in 2.6 by providing the pluggable security module
infrastructure.  This was doubtless motivated by a strong desire to
*avoid* such discussions with an endless procession of people like us
with "special security needs".

>From that perspective, security modules look like an excellent
solution.

> This would make capabilities disabled by default, but gives a way to
> enable them that does not require a kernel patch and rebuild...

That would be nice, but I don't expect to see it backported to 2.4.
--
  joq