[linux-audio-dev] modular synth GUI status?

Marcus Andersson 054185595 at telia.com
Wed Nov 19 21:47:37 UTC 2003

Hi,

the project http://nmedit.sf.net tries to recreate the editor for Clavia Nord
Modular. The progress is slow but steady.

I had an idea that we should create a generic module canvas that could be
reused by other modular synthesizers. It would handle module visualization,
movement, interaction, cable connections, common widgets and so on. XML could
be used to configure the canvas for a particular modular synthesizer. Some
kind of event model would be used to hook up the canvas with the underlying
patch representation. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to specify or
implement such a canvas yet. I am not involved in the current GUI effort,
which is a direct implementation in java without the generic canvas abstraction.

As things look now, the architecture will evolve into a protocol backend and
a graphical editor frontend. This means that it will be possible to control
the synth through both a text interface and a GUI.

Marcus