[linux-audio-dev] oh no ... virtual vocalists ...

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sat Nov 22 19:49:56 UTC 2003

On Thursday 20 November 2003 20.52, Maarten de Boer wrote:
> > oh it'll be audible, and as a lead vocal, you can bet it'll sound
> > cheesy as hell, except for that FIRST person who uses it, which
> > will probably be Prince
> >
> > but it might be useful for adding backup singers - which is
> > actually what weirds me out -
>
> and during the composition phase, just to get a general idea of how
> the song will sound with the lyrics, without having to get the lead
> and/or backup singers to the studio.

I usually improvise around the lyrics until I get a useful melody, and
then I just record it to have it "documented". Obviously, that
requires that you can (sort of) sing, and it can be rather time
consuming. Serious editing is pretty much out, unless you want to use
one of those vocalist things. (Or rather, editing with the usual
tools takes longer than just picking up the mike again. :-)

OTOH, improvising vocally differs quite a bit from improvising on a
keyboard, at least for me, so maybe one just has to view those as
different methods for different situations? An audio to lyrics + MIDI
converter could be handy...

Anyway, this virtual thing could be pretty handy for backing vocals
and stuff, I guess. I find recording backing vocals on my own pretty
boring and sometimes quite a strain, despite a range of around 3
octaves.

That said, why do I feel weird and a bit evil all of a sudden...? Oh,
I wouldn't use it on in final mix, of course! I think... ;-)