[linux-audio-dev] virtual vocalist - I think we could have something similar without much work...

Luke Yelavich luke at audioslack.com
Sun Nov 23 22:18:31 UTC 2003

At 08:38 AM 25/11/2003, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> > >You know, FESTIVAL (the popular and quite good opensource speech synthesis
> > >package) has a mode where you can feed it data to sing.
> > >It could probably not be very hard to write a similar GUI where
> > >you edit a pianoroll to make festival sing.
> >
> > There is a much better speech synthesizer, known as DECtalk which can sing
> > quite well, and it is very easy to programme. The nicer thing is, it is
> > available for Linux as well! I have it here, so I will did up a text file,
> > and post the resulting OGG if anybody is interested :)
>
>As far as I know, dectalk is commercial, isnt it?

Yes it is, but it doesn't take away the fact that as a speech synth, it is
fantastic. However, it only outputs data at 11025 16 bit mono, and uses
OSS, so it is not exactly useful in a real-time sense. That is where
Festival would be better.

Luke
--
Luke Yelavich
AudioSlack Founder and head package maintainer
luke at audioslack.com