[linux-audio-dev] Retro speech synthesis

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 25 09:39:15 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 08:21:55 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2003 19.42, Frank Neumann wrote:
> [...]
> > I was wondering for a while when some older geek will start
> > porting/rewriting e.g. the old Amiga's narrator.device for Linux -
>
> Actually, I was surfing around, looking for that a moment ago. Can't
> seem to find any source code, though. (Didn't really expect to.) Is
> it available?

IIRC if was partly hardware - possibly just the phonomes blown onto a chip
- but you could look in one of the amiga emulator packages.

> Yeah, that's another though... I guess one way would be to replace the
> synthesis stage of some current TTS system with a chip emulator style
> synth. Or how about hacking a LADSPA or JACK wrapper that generates
> control output that you can use to drive a modular synth?

You can do fun things with formant filters (vowel peaks - theres a dial
that goes from A to EE) and envelope sequencers.

If there isn't a formant filter for LADSPA allready available someone
should make one - the tables of co-efficients are available online.

- Steve