[linux-audio-dev] plugin GUIs .. Mediastation, LADSPA ?

stefan kersten steve at k-hornz.de
Wed Nov 26 20:25:04 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:39:38AM +0200, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> I have written and I'm writing a message system where client sends,
> e.g., the following msg to the server:
> which reads a block of audio from a file to a (shared) memory
> location.

why not use OpenSoundControl [1,2]? it basically does what you
describe and some more, has a (more or less complete) specification
and is used by a whole bunch of applications.

> I did not see the return value in your system (and don't figure
> out how one goes without it). The server sends both the result
> and the given return value back to the client. The return value
> could be something which only the client knows, e.g., array
> index, memory address, text. Something which associates the
> result with the request.

you could do that in OSC by sending a binary 'context' argument (a
blob in OSC parlance) containing a valid OSC message and dispatching
that when you get the server reply.

<sk>

[1] http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/
[2] http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/OSC-spec.html