[linux-audio-dev] Tracker

Stonekeeper stonekeeper at stonekeeper.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 23:24:58 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 19:01, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> It's not bad, but it's not really free (OpenSource),

Generally, musicians don't give a toss whether something is
free(Opensource) or not (let the flaming begin). Seriously, I've not met
a single non-coder who felt this was an issue. "Opensource? I don't know
about that. Does it allow me to make good music?"

> and doesnt interact well with the rest of the Linux stuff
> (jack/ladspa).

Yeah, email the guy and tell him the effort wasn't worth it. Or even
better, be constructive and let him know about it. Then he might use
those technologies.

> Also considering linux distros losing their binary compatibility
> every now and then, nobody ensures that this will continue working
> in the future.

Look, spend your effort giving the guy a pat on the back and stop
sh*tting on his efforts to bring a decent music program to the linux
community. He probably knows nothing about binary compatibility! Give
him a hand if you feel it's an issue.

> On the other hand, cheesetracker has about the same functionality (probably
> more in many aspects), and it's opensource, only lacks the nice gui :)

Ok, so I'm guessing you have something to do with cheesetracker and
don't like similar programs or something? They are not equivalent.

Seriously, people need to be encouraged, not criticised. This guy has
literally used SDL to port the platform specific rendering (and probably
sound) code and probably knows nothing about Jack or LADSPA. Given the
encouragement, his venturing into linux territory may spread to these
areas. Saying it's crap because of X,Y and Z will ultimately end up
being bad for the linux musicians community not him (he can spend all
his time accommodating the windows users who really appreciate his
efforts).

Just my pennies worth.

-Lea.