[linux-audio-dev] Tracker

Thomas Webb magusofthedark at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 02:39:17 UTC 2003

--Lea:
> Generally, musicians don't give a toss whether
> something is
> free(Opensource) or not (let the flaming begin).

Exactly. I think programmers need to stop being
elitists. It is hurting the adoption of Linux. To most
people I know that don't code, free as in beer and
free as in speech are indistinguishable. Their
attraction to OpenOffice is their naive free ride
complex and nothing else.

--Stonekeeper:
> > and doesnt interact well with the rest of the
> Linux stuff
> > (jack/ladspa).

Truth be told, this is one of the most usable Linux
audio apps I've seen in a long time... coming from a
novice to Linux audio coding and sadly, it is probably
because he didn't try to make it compatible with the
many Linux audio standards (just one more thing to
discourage him from making Linux apps)

--Stonekeeper:
> > Also considering linux distros losing their binary
> compatibility
> > every now and then, nobody ensures that this will
> continue working
> > in the future.

That's a problem with the distros of Linux and not
with his codemanship. No one but a programmer should
be required to compile an app from scratch.

--Lea:
> Look, spend your effort giving the guy a pat on the
> back and stop
> sh*tting on his efforts to bring a decent music
> program to the linux
> community. He probably knows nothing about binary
> compatibility! Give
> him a hand if you feel it's an issue.

agreed. I think if someone told him that he'd be
scorned for not letting us peer into the code and
making it JACK and LADSPA and ABCD and LMNOP and the
new, experimental ZNABCD (ZNABCD is not ABCD)
compatible, he would be scared away for sure. Good
thing he knew of none of this!

Let's start a misinformation campaign: "make audio
programs for Linux! It's easy! Fewer audio standards
to worry about! supportive developers that will
applaud you for making a good try! No open-source
zelouts to speak of!" Hmmm.. I don't know what
programmer would be dumb enough to buy this nonsense..

--Stonekeeper:
> > On the other hand, cheesetracker has about the
> same functionality (probably
> > more in many aspects), and it's opensource, only
> lacks the nice gui :)

I think you are grossly underestimating the importance
of aethetics! and the gui is part aesthetics, part
usability.

-Thomas J. Webb