[linux-audio-dev] Tracker

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Nov 27 03:21:45 UTC 2003

Hallo,
Stonekeeper hat gesagt: // Stonekeeper wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 19:01, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> > It's not bad, but it's not really free (OpenSource),
>
> Generally, musicians don't give a toss whether something is
> free(Opensource) or not (let the flaming begin). Seriously, I've not met
> a single non-coder who felt this was an issue. "Opensource? I don't know
> about that. Does it allow me to make good music?"

Well, but for how long? That's what Juan critziesed.  Non-OS-Software
is doomed on Linux.

> Look, spend your effort giving the guy a pat on the back and stop
> sh*tting on his efforts to bring a decent music program to the linux
> community. He probably knows nothing about binary compatibility! Give
> him a hand if you feel it's an issue.

He never sh*tted on anyone.

> Seriously, people need to be encouraged, not criticised.

Encourage, okay. I myself posted Skale Tracker info about a month ago.
But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to criticise it if a very
central part of our community, i.e. it being open source, it not part
of that software. So, yes, Skale is a nice peace of software, but will
I want to invest more time into it? It might be in vain, and I could
invest time into for example Pure Data instead which is open source
and thus it is here to stay. Or in Cheesetracker, which we even if
Juan fades away (from developing Cheestracker) could develop further
as a community effort.

This *is* an important point, probably even the crucial point in all
our software, and one that scale Skale Tracker still fails.

ciao