[linux-audio-dev] Tracker

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Fri Nov 28 21:30:48 UTC 2003

On Friday 28 November 2003 21.27, Paul Davis wrote:
> >as paul says, opt/ is a fine solution for this, as everything just
> > symlinks, but it's sad that it never took off.
>
> i don't think its a fine solution. i never saw anything useful about
> /opt at all. it just created a *third* possible install location.

The alternative for distributions is to put big packages with lots of
executables under /usr since /usr/local is mine (or the local administrators)

But executables should really end up in /usr/bin, non architecture specific
files in /usr/share - but then you need to handle several versions too...

In this situation I do not mind /opt ...

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå