[linux-audio-dev] dependencies was: Tracker

Thomas Webb magusofthedark at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 03:18:41 UTC 2003

> > <offtopic>
> > Which leads me onto another rant: with todays hard
> disk sizes, memory
> > capacities and internet speeds, why do we need to
> distribute things with
> > dependencies? Why not statically compile? My
> > </offtopic>

If you ever ran a program in Windows XP that looked
like 95 or worse? The purpose of dynamic linking isn't
just to save disk space.

Commercial Linux apps usually give you the option of
static or dynamic and comes with the libs necessary
for dynamic. There's no reason binaries for open
source apps can't be distributed the same way.