[linux-audio-dev] Tracker

Juan Linietsky coding at reduz.com.ar
Sun Nov 30 03:52:17 UTC 2003

On Friday 28 November 2003 17:27, Paul Davis wrote:
> >as paul says, opt/ is a fine solution for this, as everything just
> > symlinks, but it's sad that it never took off.
>
> i don't think its a fine solution. i never saw anything useful about
> /opt at all. it just created a *third* possible install location.

Oh, my apologies for misreading.
I think the only sane thing about it is that
-lets you keep track of what's in your system and where did it came from
without an extra database of the package management system
-lets you easily install/switch between software versions

Juan Linietsky

(btw my apologies also for sending the message direct, this new kmail is quite
confusing)