[linux-audio-dev] oss wrapper

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Oct 1 09:45:00 UTC 2003

esound has a wrapper of some sort that will take most oss applications
and play them via esound. Is there some sort of equivalent for jack or
perhaps alsa? It would be different from oss emulation in alsa in that
it would be user-space and explicitly invoked.

I ask for three reasons. The first might just be ignorance, but I can't
figure out how to use the oss emulation for my second card - things just
play through the first card. Some sort of wrapper could help direct it
to wherever I want it to go. The second (if it were jack) is to do
mixing. The third reason is I'm curious to see which programs are still
using oss, but not curious enough to go look at the docs/source of every
program. This way I'd see sound doesn't work but could still run the
program with the wrapper and get sound.

--
 Hans Fugal                 | De gustibus non disputandum est.
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | Debian, vim, mutt, ruby, text, gpg