[linux-audio-dev] oss wrapper

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Wed Oct 1 10:30:01 UTC 2003

Hi,

On 2003.10.01 15:28 Hans Fugal wrote:
> esound has a wrapper of some sort that will take most oss applications
> and play them via esound. Is there some sort of equivalent for jack or
> perhaps alsa? It would be different from oss emulation in alsa in that
> it would be user-space and explicitly invoked.

You're looking for bio2jack, a wrapper library to convert oss apps.

> I ask for three reasons. The first might just be ignorance, but I can't
> figure out how to use the oss emulation for my second card - things just
> play through the first card. Some sort of wrapper could help direct it
> to wherever I want it to go. The second (if it were jack) is to do
> mixing. The third reason is I'm curious to see which programs are still
> using oss, but not curious enough to go look at the docs/source of every
> program. This way I'd see sound doesn't work but could still run the
> program with the wrapper and get sound.

Look at /proc/asound/oss/devices to get the oss device number(s) for your
second card, then open /dev/dsp<x>, where <x> is the first pcm device of
the second card and then the second card will play.
For that to work, sound-service-1-3 must be aliased to snd-pcm-oss in
/etc/modules.conf.

Melanie