[linux-audio-dev] Linux VERSUS OSS ???

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Oct 9 10:07:01 UTC 2003

>I am interested how 2.6.X Linux kernel will handle OSS. I mean that alsa is the driver
>-layer for these kernels, are OSS-drivers/applications still supported ??

my understanding is that the OSS drivers will continue to exist in the
kernel tree and there will be configure time options to select
them. the default will be to use ALSA. this is up to distributions,
obviously.

ALSA supports all OSS applications, with very few exceptions. things
that don't work need to be reported so that they can be fixed.