[linux-audio-dev] Linux VERSUS OSS ???

Thomas Webb magusofthedark at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 17:36:01 UTC 2003

--- Jussi Laako <jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 17:44, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > OSS is dead. You should not be writing apps with
> OSS. If you want
> > portability use PortAudio.
>
> It's not dead if you are doing audio work on any
> other IEEE-1003.1 OS
> than Linux.

The prob. w/ portaudio is it abstracts to OSS, not
ALSA and I'd rather not take the least-common
denominator road. I'd rather my app take advantage of
all the end user's system has, yet work if the person
doesn't have the latest & greatest. What's wrong w/
writing layers yourself that fit better to your
particular app's needs?

A lot of coders here would rather avoid writing to an
API or platform they don't like than have an app that
is more likely to work on more people's computers,
playing favorites with bleeding edge technologies like
JACK. from a marketing perspective, that's insane. My
app is for $ and I want people to be able to run it
w/o having to check out CVS, yet still have support
for these new things (such as JACK and ALSA) if they
have it. I know it's more work to write your own
abstractions, but it's worth it. abstraction layers
are too cookie-cutter unless you are making something
simple like an mp3 player.