[linux-audio-dev] some more GMPI thoughts

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Tue Oct 21 18:20:04 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 06:43:14PM +0400, "horsh"  wrote:
> 1)is API monolithous or there are sub-APIs
> like GMPI-audio, GMPI-seq, GMPI-control

These are requirements.  It's not time to decide such things.  Hopefully,
it's one main API, with as few as possible support APIs (which are required
so they really are just one API :).

> 2) Explicit versioning for API?

Versioning of...?

> 3) Explicit versioning for plugins?

of course

> 4) uniq IDs for plugins?
>    who is authority?

Not sure that UUIDs are a great idea.  URIs could work, or...  What is your
requirement here?  What do you need it to do?  Don't design a solution, just
define the problem.

> 5) format for plugin state saving:
>     XML? (damn its ugly!)
>    I vote for more YAML-like language.

We're not designing solutions, just requirements, right now.  It's fine to
have a solution to a requirement, but remember that this is a bigger group.
I don't even know what YAML is.  XML is a somewhat obvious answer for
portable data, but that may be beyond the scope of GMPI.

> 6) Should the GMPI discussion produce
>     reference plugin implementation
>     reference host implementation
>     reference tools implementation

This I have covered in my current draft ;)

> 7) Can there be off-line non real-time plugins?

This is mentioned in passing in my draft.  What is your requirement?

Thanks for the thoughts. If we can boil them down further we'll get what I
need :)

--
Notice that as computers are becoming easier and easier to use,
suddenly there's a big market for "Dummies" books.  Cause and effect,