[linux-audio-dev] LADCCA without JACK ?

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Mon Oct 27 00:11:07 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 23:41, "?rshТoi8-r?Q?" wrote:

> Why can't ladccad daemon start up without jack server being running?

LADCCA was written with the assumption that jack is a system service,
along the lines of ALSA, X, syslog, etc.  LADCCA is a session manager
for clients of jack; not jack itself.  To compare it with X, LADCCA
managing jack would be like gnome-session managing the X server.  There
are other tools to do that; with X there is xdm, gdm or kdm and with
jack there is qjackctl.

> >From my point of view it would be right for ladccad to bring jack up.
> So allowing for example multiple jack sessions with different jack settings.

Taking down and bringing up jackd is outside the scope of LADCCA but
fortunately, it won't be necessary to take down and bring up jackd in
order to change its settings once on-the-fly driver switching, and later
a general on-the-fly settings modification system is in place in jack.

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

"At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at
Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in
Outlook's preview pane." -- Gabe Newell on the Half-Life 2 source leak