[linux-audio-dev] Re: Correct sustain pedal emulation (midi hold controller) ?

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 28 10:21:40 UTC 2003

On Monday 27 October 2003 15:08, Benno Senoner wrote:

>Assume I press C2 with velocity 50 pedal up, the C2-pedalup (associated
>to velocity 50) sample sounds.
>Now I press the sustain pedal and press C2 with velocity 100.
>What should the sampler do ? Quickly fade out the C2-pedalup
>(velocity-50) note and trigger the
>C2-pedaldown (velocity 100) note ?
>And of course when you release the pedal all sustained notes will get a
>note-off.

I am a piano player.
I would expect the C2 note to be replaced with the next attack on that note.
If the pedal is pressed, the damper stays up, so the next attack will be the
hammer hitting the strings, and the sounding note is not faded out before.
So I think you should fade out the previous note after or on the attack of the
next one. Maybe even a lot later. There is an adding resonance effect if you
keep hitting the same note with the pedal down, but that is probably the
sympathetic vibrations from the other strings.

If the pedal is not pressed the damper returns to the string as the key is
released to play the next attack. You will get a note off message then
anyway.

Note that releasing the pedal should only send note-off to those notes that
are sounding, but whose key is not pressed. If you have keys pressed down,
the dampers will be up, regardless of the position of the sustain-pedal. So
these should continue. I have no idea if digital piano's actually do this
correctly, but it is the way a accoustic piano works.

Gerard

electronic & acoustic musics-- http://www.xs4all.nl/~gml