[linux-audio-dev] Lots of stuff...

James Shuttleworth james at dis-dot-dat.net
Fri Sep 12 11:03:00 UTC 2003

Hi,
  Firstly, some info on myself.  I've been a linux user for a few years, and I've been dabbling with computer based music for a long while (Scream Tracker... I still love you!).

  Right now, I have a dual boot machine - windows for Cubase SX, linux for everything else.

  Every now and then, I have a look at what's going on with linux music software, but so far I can't justify moving from Cubase.

  Now, the meat of my mail:

  1.  I can program.  Really, I can.  I have a Soft. Eng. degree and I'm going to start writing my PhD thesis soon (within 6 months, hopefully).  I've got a basic to good knowledge of quite a few languages: perl, python, C, C++, Java, mostly.  So I should be able to write the groovy audio apps I want, right?  No.  There are huge areas where my knowledge is lacking - optimisation, basic techniques for real-time programming, efficient implementations for standard things, etc.  This isn't because I can't learn them, but because, so far, I haven't needed to.  I browse around the internet, looking for some kind of repository of this kind of knowledge, but I can't find it.  If you know where it is, please let me know.  So, my first question is: where does a newbie go to learn?  I doubt Native Instruments or Steinberg will be quick to tell me the tricks and hacks that they use.

 2.  The big app...  I see lots of things in development, but that seems to be the problem - they are lots of separate things.  Now, I hear that Jack is the next big thing, but is it enough?  It seems like a great idea - synchronise multiple multiple apps and mix their output - but I can't see this being enough.  I think it seems more suited to using a couple of apps together than for combining instruments into a track.  When I write something in Cubase, I expect to click "save" and for all my connections, parameter values, automation, mixer settings, etc. to be stored, ready to be opened next time I feel like it without having to go through a number of apps and remember which files went with this project.  Maybe I'm wrong - I hope I am - but Jack doesn't appear to come close to Cubase in this respect.  Is there something else out there?

 3.  I want to know the state of play.  Not of one app, but of the whole linux audio scene.  Which apps work together?  Which apps have debs, rpms, mdks, or whatever.  Is there some kind of site like this?  If there isn't, how about we build one?  Something that would really keep it all together.  Imagine:
	- Articles for developers and users
	- FAQs that cover a whole host of apps
	- Info on the current state of apps
	- Pre-compiled packages that work together - something like demudi would be good, but more as a work in progress system - something we could all use to test software, interoperability, etc. in an environment that is (as much as possible) what the end users will have.
	- Tutorials, links, guidelines.  Now, guidelines is a good idea!
	- A big, all encompassing TODO list.
	- A combined effort on documentation.  I think a nice manual that covers a whole audio setup would be good.

 4.  I'm fully intending to start writing audio apps.  My first attempt will be a tracker - something I can cut my audio teeth on and produce something I want.  I really do like the tracker paradigm. Anyway, any pointers are welcome - especially concerning things in item 1.  I intend to document my progress and hopefully turn it into a guide to writing audio apps for people who are in my position right now.  Of course, if it all goes wrong, it might become a what-not-to-do kind of document, but I hope not.

So, this is my first contributin to the list.  Please let me know what you think.  Flame me, call me a git/idiot/moron/whatever, just don't ignore me ;)

James