[linux-audio-dev] Lots of stuff...

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Sep 12 11:42:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 03:47:23PM +0100, James Shuttleworth wrote:

>  2.  The big app...  I see lots of things in development, but that seems
> to be the problem - they are lots of separate things.  Now, I hear that
> Jack is the next big thing, but is it enough?  It seems like a great
> idea - synchronise multiple multiple apps and mix their output - but I
> can't see this being enough.  I think it seems more suited to using a
> couple of apps together than for combining instruments into a track.
> When I write something in Cubase, I expect to click "save" and for
> all my connections, parameter values, automation, mixer settings,
> etc. to be stored, ready to be opened next time I feel like it
> without having to go through a number of apps and remember which
> files went with this project.  Maybe I'm wrong - I hope I am -
> but Jack doesn't appear to come close to Cubase in this respect.
> Is there something else out there?

http://pkl.net/~node/ladcca.html
Could probably use your help.  Now that JACK is pretty mature,
I think laddca is the next "killer framework" for linux audio.
But it's not mature and not widely implemented.

>  3.  I want to know the state of play.  Not of one app, but of
> the whole linux audio scene.  Which apps work together?  Which
> apps have debs, rpms, mdks, or whatever.  Is there some kind
> of site like this?  If there isn't, how about we build one?

I've been planning to, for AGES, and one of these days i'll really
do it, honest :-)  It should only really take me a weekend
of fiddling with Zope.

> Something that would really keep it all together.  Imagine:
> 	- Articles for developers and users

yup

> 	- FAQs that cover a whole host of apps

wikis too

> 	- Info on the current state of apps

would be built into the app-listing system

> 	- Pre-compiled packages that work together -

that's a whole huge project in its own right. I'm not going there.
Anyway, others have already done so: PlanetCCRMA and Demudi,
most notably.

> 	- Tutorials, links, guidelines.  Now, guidelines is a good idea!

yup

> 	- A big, all encompassing TODO list.

huh?

> 	- A combined effort on documentation.  I think a nice manual
> that covers a whole audio setup would be good.

would be cool.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com