[linux-audio-dev] LL-patch for SuSE kernel?

Uwe Koloska koloska at voiceinterconnect.de
Mon Sep 15 05:22:16 UTC 2003

Hello,

Takashi Iwai wrote:

> yes, suse kernel (since 8.1) already includes most of the
> necessary changes.  some parts are missing but they are on
> the rare code path, which has been not audited quite well,
> anyway.

What does this mean?
- If I need low latency, I can use a SuSE kernel without
recompiling it?  And don't have to bother about switching LL on
and off?  (There is neither the kernel-config option "Low
Latency" nor somethin in /proc to switch it on)
- I can use the SuSE sources, but have to recompile?  (with what
options?)

> the LL patch is a easy change. but it's pretty difficult to
> apply the preempt patch on the heavily modified kernel like
> suse's and redhat's.
 >
> if you really need PE, try 2.6 kernel.  it's better
> maintained.

What do I need the PE patch for?

I am still working at an answer to KEYBOARDS and will detail in
a later letter.  For now only some questions:

- (like said above) to get low-latency on a stock SuSE 8.2, I
don't have to bother with the kernel and any configuration
(setting something in /proc) -- right?

- what is the reason for starting the init without full
capabilities?  (to use jackstart, I have to rebuild the kernel
with all capabilities set for init -- but this was straightforward)

- when running jackd (from the very nice qjackctl with
jackstart) together with ardour and jamin, I get a number of
xruns.  The same configuration under windowmaker doesn't seem to
have this problems.  (I am trying to move my CD-mastering from
MacOS-X and Spark LE to Linux)

- the first thing to start with "real" audio under KDE is to
deactivate aRts -- right?

Uwe

--
voiceINTERconnect www.voiceinterconnect.de
... smart speech applications from germany