[linux-audio-dev] LL-patch for SuSE kernel?

Uwe Koloska koloska at voiceinterconnect.de
Mon Sep 15 07:21:01 UTC 2003

Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>- what is the reason for starting the init without full
>>capabilities?  (to use jackstart, I have to rebuild the kernel
>>with all capabilities set for init -- but this was straightforward)
>

> it's a question of security.
> in fact, the full capability is dangerous from this perspective.
> some of last security holes on 2.4 kernel are related with this.
>
> well, in theory, it's possible to enable all capabilities but drop it
> in the early boot stage by setting via /proc/sys/cap-bound.  but it
> will be unlikely implemneted.
> it must be pretty hard to convince security guys to accept CAP_SETPCAP
> capability as default.

Is there another (secure) way of using jackd in realtime without
making it suid root?

What advice can I give to an unexperienced linux user?

> sorry, i don't know jamin.

very nice mastering jack application -- you must know ;-)
   http://jamin.sourceforge.net/

>>- the first thing to start with "real" audio under KDE is to
>>deactivate aRts -- right?
>
> yes, if it's conflict.
> the sb live, for example, can run jackd and artsd for the playback
> stream (i.e. not for the full-duplex).

It's a matter of hardware then?  Till now I am bound to use the
builtin audio from my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe.  But that's not as bad.
  For live recording I'm using a iBook with TC.works Spark LE
and Tascam US-122 as audio interface.  Then import the session
into ardour and find out what next ;-)))

Uwe

--
voiceINTERconnect www.voiceinterconnect.de
... smart speech applications from germany