[linux-audio-dev] pcm data -- plz give a short brief

Frank Neumann Frank.Neumann at st.com
Tue Sep 16 12:09:00 UTC 2003

Hi list,
hexe_2003 at directbox.com wrote:

> I was looking for a good paper (tutorial / documentation) that describes howto
> calculate pcm data -- e.g. if I open my sounddevice (/dev/dsp), and sent randomed
> data to it, I am not really satisfied; I want to KNOW what data makes what  sound.
> Of course I know that this is a short describtion of a whole lot of knowledge, but
> browsing the archive of http://www.musicdsp.org is a very hard way to REALLY
> learn how this works. Have somebody an idea where to begin ?

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but at my local music
dealer I recently found a nice free booklet on sound programming which
was put together from a series of (sorry, german) articles located at
http://www.amazona.de - on that page, click on "Synthie Zone" at the
top, then in the frame on the right side you'll find 4 articles
"Soundprogrammierung 1..4". They even come with a couple of sound
examples as .mp3.

Hope that helps,
Frank