[linux-audio-dev] Re: Character-Mode Audio UIs [WAS: Gungirl Sequencer 0.1]

Frederick Gleason fredg at salemradiolabs.com
Wed Sep 17 10:13:01 UTC 2003

On Monday 15 September 2003 11:18, Paul Davis wrote:

> ...remember that the challenge
> of making non-visual interfaces for editing multi-track audio that can
> be used dynamically (i.e its not just a file saying when to play which
> audio chunk when, and you edit the file with a text editor) ... this
> is still basically a research project that could probably justify at
> least a masters, if not a full doctoral degree :)

I worked with a system at a radio news network in the mid/late 90s that
essentially did just this.  It was called "DCart".

	http://www.abc.net.au/olympics_1996/dcart.htm

The system could capture, playout, cut and paste edit and do all the other
operations you'd expect of an audio editor.  It was also multiuser, meaning
that the entire staff had access to the full audio repository.  It used a
central host CPU with dumb terminals attached via RS-232.  It ran under one
of the proprietary Unices (can't remember which flavor, I think one of the
SVR4 variants).

And, it worked well!  So well, in fact, that when they "upgraded" a few years
later to an M$ based system with a full GUI, many of the editors griped about
it, saying the new system was a lot less efficient and usable.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|     Salem Radio Labs      |       http://www.salemradiolabs.com/        |
|       There's never time to do it right, but there's always time        |
|       to do it over.                                                    |
|                                         -- Meskimen's Law               |