[linux-audio-dev] next power of two

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Thu Sep 18 12:41:01 UTC 2003

Taybin Rutkin <taybin at earthlink.net> writes:

> Heh, that doesn't sound very RISC-like to me...

He called them "functions", not "instructions".  I don't recall any
such instructions back back when I worked on PowerPC.  But, providing
fast subroutine linkage for stuff like this is *very* RISC-like.  It's
really fundamental to the RISC approach.

Many people misunderstand RISC.  The goal is not to "reduce" the
number of instructions.  PowerPC has *lots* of instructions.  The
intent is to reduce the time required for all the frequently-used
instructions to one fast clock cycle.

Please forgive the long-winded reply, Taybin.  I worked on this stuff
for many years, and I still love it.  :-)

Regards,
--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA