[linux-audio-dev] Best road to audio programming happiness?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Sep 23 05:18:00 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 09.50, Steve Harris wrote:
[...SDL...]
> Its pretty hard to build UIs out of it, I tried and gave up (cf.
> PressGang/JAMin). I think GTK and Qt are just better for that kind
> of thing.

Tried ParaGUI?

Anyway, I still think GTK+, Qt or FLTK is more suitable for "normal"
applications. They're not quite as portable as SDL (which runs on
pretty much anything with some sort of display), but they do multiple
windows, and they're GUI toolkits, as opposed to low level "direct
rendering" APIs.

That said, I'm investigating using SDL and (probably) ParaGUI for a
musical application, but that design is closer to a keyboard
controlled tracker than a typical GUI application, so even ParaGUI is
a bit high level...