[linux-audio-dev] what happened to XAP?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 13:42:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:18:45PM +0200, Marco Ballini wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 18:20, Paul Davis wrote:
> > discussion about it moved to the GMPI list. GMPI is an industry-wide
> > attempt to define a platform+vendor neutral music plugin API.
> Does this mean that the decision process is driven by commercial
> interests.

Partly, but many of the contributors are Free Software people, and IIRC the
final SDK will be released under a Free Software friendly licence.

> Are they developing an API with the same philosophy of LADSPA?

No, we allready have a LADSPA, its intended to include events and other
things that are missing form LADSPA.

> How close is this new API to XAP?

Its still in the requirements phase, so I cant really say.

- Steve