[linux-audio-dev] Lionstracs / Linux Audio at Musikmesse report

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Wed Apr 7 17:07:43 UTC 2004

On 04/07/04 07:01:35, Benno Senoner wrote:
> Dave Robillard wrote:
>

>> You misunderstand.  I'm not saying you're stupid for suggesting
>> using  the win32 codecs (if that's what you have to do to play the
>> damn  things, that's what you have to do, it's hardly your fault).
>> I'm saying  Lionstracs is stupid for requiring you to do so.
>> Especially since they  sell Linux-running products, and have taken
>> so much from the free  software world.
>
> The problem is that the guy that took the video used a camcorder with
> firewire output, he is not a Linux expert, he uses windows on his PC
> which has very to easy tools to transfer the videos to the PC and
> make a video file out of it.
> [snip]

> I'm against proprietary formats too but unfortunately there is no
> pratical alternative yet (a format that can be easily viewed by
> anyone).

MPlayer plays a whooole lot of formats (without using windows codecs or
anything like that), far too numerous to list here; and you can
obviously play them on a Windows or Mac machine.

Don't get me wrong, I can sympathise with the naieve camera user, but
it's certainly not true that there are no formats out there that
everyone can play!

-Dave