[linux-audio-dev] [OT] Linux, audio and the breach of GPL

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Fri Apr 9 19:54:00 UTC 2004

On 04/09/04 01:51:53, Clinton Ebadi wrote:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html . You are a bit off track, the
> section on "Common Misunderstandings of the GPL" will get you back on
> track. Putting the code on an FTP server is not enough. It is easier to
> include the source on a CD with the binaries and also make it possible
> for any third party to order the source code CD via mail for the cost of
> the disc and postage.

Putting the source up on an FTP server (provided it's publically known about
and announced and whatnot) is fine, you just need to include an _offer_ to
mail a CD with the source code.  Noone is actually going to order it anyway if
it's on FTP.

I'd say suggesting this (including the offer) to companies is a better idea
than saying they need to include a bunch of crap on their distribution CD's,
or even worse an entire seperate CD (which costs money, and thus pisses
companies off).

I'm as militant a GPL nazi as you can get, and personally I think putting the
code up on a FTP server follows the spirit of the GPL nicely.  In fact, not
having the source code for download would constitute a pain in the ass IMO.

But technically yes, the offer (or a source CD) should be included with the
product.

-Dave