[linux-audio-dev] Anyone planned a GTK2-based Multitracker?

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Sat Apr 10 11:22:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 08:41:58AM +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> [...]
> Sounds to me like you've not even tried what is out there already - you're
> [ranting deleted]
> Do you not think your time would be better spent
> improving what has come this far rather than starting _another_ project from
> scratch?  Have you seen the number of dead or stillborn projects on
> Sourceforge?   It takes years for these projects to mature - Rosegarden (the
> project as a whole, not the latest incarnation) is 10 years old now.  Do you
> [ranting deleted]
>
> The main thing I'm suggesting here is that you or anyone else who wants to
> start another sequencer project just help out with an existing one.
> Personally I'd like you to tell us what Rosegarden _doesn't_ do for you -
> slag it off, break it, complain about it.  Just don't ignore it.  If you've
> got good reasons why it doesn't do what you want it to at a fundamental level
> then fine - I've seen no such arguments from you yet.

despite your rudeness you raise a very good point. I very much regret
that i have just started such a foolhardy endeavour. I have serious
doubts it will ever be finished, but i just couldnt find any existing projects
that were suitable. (I dont really want to announce it till i know its going to
work, but if any c(non++)/gtk2 programmers are interested in furthering the
unexplored ideas started by Logic, then pls contact me.
early screenshot: http://80.61.20.184/wiki/smgui_5.png)

its easy to say that you want criticism but its really not that easy.
Most people are not happy criticising other poeples work. Unless someone
knows you personally they are not going to know how you will respond. Perhaps
you are the same as me in that you thrive on criticism, but most people
are not like that. It is also time-consuming to prepare a proper criticism.
For me personally, Rosegarden is based on a simplistic outdated user interface
model, uses the wrong toolkit and wrong language, has spent too long on score
editing, and only has audio as an afterthought. Whenever i tried it i was
plagued with segfaults. There is no method listed on the webpage to submit
feedback to you without a subscription. In addition, the main developer is
regularly impolite, and not even humourously like the lovable MPlayer Arpi:-)
If you want feedback and/or greater community support then perhaps you should
consider encouraging it more, but hows that for starters?:-)

Please dont get me wrong, i have a great deal of respect for the Rosegarden
project - its just not suitable for me.

my feeling is that the only way round this continuing problem of fragmentation
is to use it to its advantage, via increased modularity. I would very much
be up for a discussion on how to facilitate that, as i havnt really been
able to come up with a satisfactory architecture myself and am stuck
re-implementing the same unpractical monolithic structure yet again with very
little code re-use. The problem i beleive is that while the code should be
modular, things have to be unified at the user interface level to make it
usable.

regards
--
Tim Orford