[linux-audio-dev] Anyone planned a GTK2-based Multitracker?

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Sat Apr 10 14:36:21 UTC 2004

Samuel Abels:
> > > As nice as Ardour may be, I personaly still prefer the interfaces of
> > > modern UI toolkits, in combination with a nice Object Oriented language
> > > (aka C++ :) ).
> >
> > If you want to write C++, why do you want GTK??? Use a C++-toolkit like Qt.
>
> Despite the fact that this is often discussed as a matter of religion, I
> prefer gtkmm because it fits better into the GNOME environment.
>
> Also, this is from the gtkmm-documentation:
>
> http://www.murrayc.com/murray/talks/2002/GUADEC3/notes/html/index.html#id2759245
>
> "QT originates from a time when C++ was not standardised or well
> supported by compilers. Its design today is still based upon the choices
> available at that time, so it does not play well with more up-to-date
> code. Development of QT is still effectively closed - There is still no
> public development mailing list, and TrollTech have the normal corporate
> conservatism. As an open-source project, its design would have been
> improved through public debate, and it would have been possible to
> jettison the baggage.

<snip>

> So, in essence, gtkmm does it in a more C++ way. :-) (But please let us
> not make this a flame; may everyone be free to choose whatever toolkit
> he likes best. ;) )

Then my question becomes:

Why on earth use C++? Use a desent high-level non-crippled language like
lisp, python or ruby. The lowlevel stuff must of course be written in
c/c++ or something, but only a very small amount of multitracker-code is
that low-level. Yes, I have made _huge_ programs in C myself, but that was
only because I was so damned inexperienced and had so damned slow machine
to work on at the time.

Today, where there are so many descent libraries for
lisp/python/ruby/ada(?)/etc(?), and the machines are so fast,
as good as no one should use c++ for high-level things. You'll
waste time.

Yes, this might start a flame-war, but I really think people
should be aware of the C/C++-stupidness.