[linux-audio-dev] [OT] Linux, audio and the breach of GPL

Simon Jenkins sjenkins at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 10 17:42:04 UTC 2004

will at malefactor.org wrote:

>IANAL, but I'm 99% sure that when you give someone a GPLd executable,
>you're only obligated to provide that one person with the sources, not the
>"general public" (read: everyone on earth).

True. Just that one person. But IF instead of giving them the source you
give
them a written offer to provide the source THEN they can pass your offer
along to third parties under some circumstances.

IANAL either... I'm a programmer. But the GPL is an algorithm and its pretty
clear how its intended to function. Whether or not it would actually
function
as intended on its "target processor" (a courtroom)? /That's/ what you'd
need
a lawyer to tell you.

Simon Jenkins