[linux-audio-dev] Anyone planned a GTK2-based Multitracker?

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sat Apr 10 17:04:39 UTC 2004

On 04/10/04 12:08:31, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:
> Thats not what I said. Or ment at least. I said; use a high-level language
> for high-level operations. I'm not saying: Do computer-intensive/realtime
> critical operations with lisp/python/ruby/etc. Ardour consist of about
> 90% GUI code, if I have understood correctly. Those 90% of code could
> have been written in a more high-level language with garbage collectors,
> proper list-functions, dynamic typing and other helpful things c++ does
> not provide because C++ is supposed to be extremely fast, allways.
> Or in case not, why not?

C++ (with the STL) has some pretty darn useful list functions.  It's not as
low level and sucked down as you seem to think....

Personally, I'd rather have that 90% of Ardour be nice and quick.  I don't
care what anyone says, GUIs written in scripting language are noticably slower
than GUIs written in a compiled language like C or C++.

-Dave